Buff Choila is a Newari appetizer usually eaten alongside with beaten rice or on its own.
There are basically two types of buff choila based on the way the meat is cooked: Haku Choila and Mana Choila. Haku choila is prepared by grilling the meat while as mana choila is prepared by boiling the meat. You can also mix both methods and boil and grill the meat.
For our site, we have decided to try Haku Choila. I personally liked the flavor of grilled meat though, boiling the meat might be the healthier choice.
- Recipe type: Lunch | Snack
- Cuisine: Nepali
- Serves: 3-4 serves
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 500 gm Buff
- 4 tablespoon of mustard oil
- 2-3 roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoon of coriander
- 4-5 pieces of roasted red chili
- salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon of cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Cut meat in small pieces.
- In a heated pan, add 1 tablespoons of oil and cook the meat for about 10 minutes. Add cumin powder and turmeric powder for nice color and put it in a bowl.
- Add cumin, ginger garlic paste and salt in the bowl and properly coat it.
- In a blender, mix tomatoes and red chilies and pour over the bowl and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add remaining oil and crackle fenugreek seeds until it turns black.
- Once the seeds turn black, take it off the heat and pour it over the bowl.
- Stir for few times and garnish with coriander.