My aunt once told me that Acchar comes from the fact that every acchar must contain char (four) elements: “nun” or salt, “khursani” or chillies, “amiloo” or tangy and the main ingredient. What better acchar than pakako golmeda ko acchar.
- Recipe type: Dipping Sauce
- Cuisine: Nepali
- Serves: 4-5 servings
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Total time: an hour
- 1 kg tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon of Szechuan pepper
- ½ tablespoon mustard seeds powder
- ½ tablespoon fenugreek seeds powder
- ½ tablespoon mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- a pinch of tumeric
- 5-7 tablespoon red chili powder or as per taste
- 10-15 fresh curry leaves
- 250 ml vegetable oil
- 4-5 dried chilies
- 15 slightly crushed garlic cloves
- salt as per taste
- sugar as per taste
- In a deep bottom vessel, heat oil. Make sure to leave 4-5 spoons of oil for tadka later. Reduce heat to medium high and continue to cook until the oil seperates and tomatoes are mushy. The tomatoes could take 45 minutes to an hour.
- Once cooked, let the tomatoes cool down. Once cooled you can grind the tomatoes to make the acchar smooth.(optional)
- Add salt, ½ mustard seeds powder, ½ fenugreek seeds, chili powder and mix everything properly.
- In a separate pan, heat 4-5 spoons of oil. Add fenugreek and mustard seeds.
- Once fenugreek seeds are red, add turmeric, curry leaves saute for few mintues and turn off the heat.
- Add crush garlic and turn off the heat.
- Add the tadka in the mix and serve.