Newari or Newa cuisine is the most celebrated Nepalese cuisine. Kathmandu Valley being the route of trade for spices in the medieval age as well as the fertile land of Kathmandu valley were two notable conditions that paved the way for such a versatile cuisine. Food is an integral part of Newa culture. After all, newari are known for throwing feasts.
Kachilla is a popular Newari food that uses raw minced meat and whole lot of spices. The word “kachilla” itself translates to “kacho masu” or “raw meat.” The raw meat is mixed with spices and oil with hands, not a spatula, to generate enough heat to make the meat tender as well as to get rid of the raw fragrance.
- Recipe type: Side Dish | Appetizer |
- Cuisine: Newari Dish
- Serves: 4-5 serves
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- 200gm of minced meat
- 40gm fried peanuts
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt as taste
- 1 tbsp of cumin powder
- 30 ml of mustard oil
- ½ turmeric powder or as per required
- Red chillies as required
- a pinch of fenugreek seeds
- Squeeze out all the water from the minced meat and cook it as per your preference and set it aside in a bowl.
- Mix salt, peanut, coriander, turmeric powder, cumin powder, mustard oil, red chilli powder, ginger, garlic paste in minced meat and mix it with soft hands.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Wait till the seeds are completely black then add turmeric powder. Be very quick as turmeric powder has a tendency to burn quickly which can ruin this dish.
- Pour oil in the bowl and mix everything well.