What makes the momo is the acchar. You can quote us on that.
My aunt once told me that Acchar comes from the fact that every acchar must contain char (four) elements: “nun” or salt, “khursani” or chillies, “amiloo” or tangy and the main ingredient. Here is a simple acchar or dipping sauce for momo. It has all the components of a good acchar. It is both spicy and tangy.
This is the simplest variation of dipping sauce for momo. This acchar can also be used to eaten with daal and bhaat or as a normal side dish.
- Recipe type: Dipping Sauce
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- 2 medium Tomato
- 4-5 Dried red chilies, seeds and stem removed
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4-5 Szechwan pepper
- salt to taste
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a pan, add 1 ½ cups of water. Add tomatoes until the peel comes off.
- Meantime roast cumin seeds and peppercorns on low medium heat till the aroma fills the room. Let it cool down afterwards.
- Add roasted cumin, peppercorns, tomatoes, garlic cloves, salt and lemon juice and grind it into smooth paste and it’s ready to serve.