Bhanta Chokha or Baigan Chokha
Roasted eggplant recipe, also known as baigan chokha in Hindi and Bhanta chokha in Nepali, is an easy and quick recipe for a side dish. It is a popular Bihari dish that gives a smoky flavor as it is roasted over on an open flame.
Also, baigan chokha is a different recipe to baigan bharta. Bhanta chokha is a side dish that can be served with rice or with roti(bread).
Bhanta Chokha or Baigan Chokha Ingredients
- 3 medium-sized Eggplant / Aubergine
- 2 teaspoons of mustard oil (you can pick your taste of oil)
- salt to taste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- A clove sized ginger part
- one teaspoon of cumin powder (roasted cumin can also be used)
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander
- green chili to taste
- one teaspoon of Sichuan pepper
Bhanta Chokha or Baigan Chokha Preparation
- Clean the eggplant.
- Cut off each eggplant into half without making it two separate halves.
- Chop the garlic and ginger finely.
- Chop the green chilies finely.
Bhanta Chokha or Baigan Chokha cooking steps
- Roast eggplants on a medium open flame.
- Turn each eggplant every 2 minutes, so all the sides cook thoroughly.
- Peel the burnt cover.
- Mash the eggplants with a knife or your hand.
- Add finely chopped ginger, garlic, coriander, salt, and mustard oil.
- Mix everything well.